Our observable universe

While I have always been fascinated with astronomy, I find that reading astronomy facts is quite different from experiencing them.  For example, the Sun is approximately 150 million km from Earth; I know what the Sun looks and feels like to me on a daily basis, but that number, 150 million km, doesn't mean much.  Similarly, the fact that we are on a planet orbiting a star, in a solar system which exists as a tiny part of a galaxy, is something I know intellectually.  As much as I experience what life is like for me on my piece of Earth, I don't really know what it feels like to be hurtling through space as part of my planet/solar system/galaxy/universe.


I came across these photos by Knate Myers and then this video.  It is one of the most amazing astronomy videos I have ever seen; the images of the Milky Way are breathtaking.  It is so incredible, I feel like spamming everyone I know saying: "YOU NEED TO SEE THIS!"  It allowed me to experience those facts that I have learnt about, to see what it looks like to spin on a planetary axis in space, and to feel like I'm a part of this galaxy.


Skylights - Timelapse Film from Knate Myers on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...